Saturday, November 17, 2007

Buy Nothing Day

























Apparently, 70% of my carbon footprint comes from the things I buy. Lately I have been lucky enough to have discovered excellent local farmers' markets, and my parents bring back masses of delicious vegies when they visit their house on Lake Cootharaba, but I am still contributing to the single worst environmental & social habit in society: shopping.

Studies have shown that the average parent spends seven hours a week shopping, but only one hour with their kids. While I am not sure about organised religion, it still holds better morals than the new cultural base of materialism. Just take a look at all the massive shopping temples being constructed in our suburbs. Look at how much bottled water costs when you can just get it out of the tap!

To this end, I am so not buying anything on "No shopping day". And I am trying hard to cut down on my participation in this whole consumerist thing. The hardest to break will be my adidas sneaker addiction, but I must at least try. I did not buy any yesterday, and I reckon I can get through tomorrow...

Also, I love these guys almost as much as I love their soundtrack:

1 comment:

Tim said...

Buy Nothing Day is hitting the Klohn Crippen Berger offices !

I love the whirl-mart vid btw - somehow the backing track stimulated my urges to go lawn bowling though ?!?!